In response to the deterioration in speed over the last month, HGSounds has now moved to a new UK server with the addition of two file servers, one in London and the other in Dallas. Between the 3 locations everyone should be able to get good download speeds at all times. The download script has also had a rewrite to be reliable with larger files, so that now products such as Kosmos Infekted are a single 2GB download as opposed to multiple parts. Hopefully there will be no more problems, especially as download sizes have increased recently with the newer releases. On the downloads page you will now notice the 3 different download links per file.
If you get a chance, I’d love to hear what sort of speeds you are getting from your location. I may get another file server in Europe if speeds aren’t good enough from the London location, but all my tests have come back good so far!
A huge collection of 800+ diverse sampled instruments for Kontakt 4/5 which is fronted by the unique Kontakt script called Kosmos. Kosmos recreates a feature rich dual oscillator synthesizer where the samples become selectable waveforms. With a finely tuned randomization function it is possible to easily create unique sounds on the fly with very little effort, with either global randomize or the local randomizers of each section. There is also a single instrument version of Kosmos for the original 800 instruments which allows the same degree of control.
Introductory offer just $20 or $10 crossgrade from HG Complete
Full details HERE.
Kosmos the unique Synth script has been re-written from the ground up for Kontakt 4 and 5.Β As well as looking much prettier than than Kontakt 3 version, it takes the Kosmos concept as far as it can go with over 2500 lines of code to create a true dual synth engine. It now includes 3 tempo synced LFOs to modulate individual Filter Cutoffs, Volumes and Pitch, as well as having separate controls for Waveform, Pan, Tune, Velocity, Env->Filter and Filter Type. Additionally the Sequencer has been rewritten and improved, it has 3 sequencers one for Play/Pitch, Velocity and Note Length all of which can have independent step lengths.
Infekted and Starburst have both been updated, as well as Infekted Lite (Note that after extracting Infekted Lite to your hard drive, you must run the installer for either Windows or MAC which is located in the extracted folder, this will install the images used by Kosmos into your Kontakt ‘pictures’ folder).
Continue reading →
Kosmos is a scripted Virtual Analog style Synth Script for Kontakt designed to be a front end for high quality sample libraries. The idea was to create a powerful yet easy to edit dual Synthesizer for using HGSounds sample libraries as virtual Oscillators. Each section has it’s own randomizer and and can be included/excluded from the Global Randomizer. The amount of Randomization for most parameters can also be adjusted. Kosmos also includes a polyrhythmic polyphonic Sequencer.
Continue reading →
Infekted has been updated to include new Preset Categories and bonus presets bringing the total number of presets to 6,474.Β Additionally 4 new hybrid Kosmos Synths have been introduced which use single sample waveforms from all collections. The free Lite version has also been updated and can be downloaded from here. Here is a summary of the new features:
- 4 New Hybrid Kosmos Synths – Each uses 80 single samples, 20 from each collection to create a unique palette for each synth. Using a single sample as opposed to the multi-sampled instruments means that it uses less memory and so more waveforms can be made available to each Kosmos synth. These 4 synths create a whole new world of possible instruments which are easily programmed due to the Kosmos interface or can be randomised and tweaked for more instant gratification. There are also mono versions of these Kosmos Synths as with all others in the collection.
- +1 Octave Preset Category – This category is simply tuned an Octave higher than the Poly category.
- Poly Seq Preset Category – This is the same as the Poly Category but replaces the Mono/Legato script with the unique HGS Sequencer script used in the main Kosmos Synths.
- Bonus Presets per collection – This is a selection of 530 new presets created using the single presets and tweaked using the Kosmos interface.
- Kosmos Presets – 600 new presets created using the full Kosmos engine for a diverse selection of sounds.
- Infekted Lite has also been updated with 50 Kosmos Presets and the Octave and Poly Seq categories.
Continue reading →
Kosmos is a scripted front end for Kontakt v3 and above designed to create an easy to use dual oscillator synthesizer. Besides being a front end for the Homegrown Sample libraries, the main goal was to move away from the idea of fixed presets inside Kontakt and to provide a simple method of randomizing new instruments on the fly, whilst providing enough controls to tweak the sounds to taste. This leads to a much more unique preset than using pre-defined presets and is a creatively rewarding way to work as opposed to scrolling through presets. In essence Kosmos is an attempt to import some of the best features of HGS synths into Kontakt. It also includes a Gate Sequencer.
Starburst K Page | Kosmos Manual
Radiance provides a varied collection of beautiful pads, synths, landscapes and textures and can enhance any music/multimedia project. This collection has now been ported to Sampletank making use of ST to create child presets to provide variations on the original instruments. It can also be used with the free version of Sampletank.
Kosmos is a scripted front end for Kontakt v3 and above designed to create an easy to use dual oscillator synthesizer. Besides being a front end for the Homegrown Sample libraries, the main goal was to move away from the idea of fixed presets inside Kontakt and to provide a simple method of randomizing new instruments on the fly, whilst providing enough controls to tweak the sounds to taste. This leads to a much more unique preset than using pre-defined presets and is a creatively rewarding way to work as opposed to scrolling through presets. In essence Kosmos is an attempt to import some of the best features of HGS synths into Kontakt.
Also included is a custom built gate sequencer with many play modes and some live triggers for real-time manipulation.
- 2 Oscillators using a large selection of WAV based instruments
- Each Oscillator has:
- a distinct selectable filter type
- 26 different AMP Envelopes to choose from
- 9 different Mix Modes
- 1 LFO mapped to Filter Cutoff
- 21 shapes to choose from
- Tempo synced Frequency
- Retrigger Enable
- 19 different Randomize modes mapped to a randomize button
- Reverb with selectable amount and Time
- Delay with selectable amount tempo synced time
- Modulator selectable between Flanger, Phaser and Chorus at various rates
- Gate Sequencer with 15 Play Modes
- Efficient Scripting - elements not in use are disabled to minimise CPU usage
- Uses Disk Streaming to minimise memory usage
WAV Based Oscillators
Each Kosmos based synth uses a selection of internal Waveforms as its sound source which are selectable via the Wave A and Wave B knobs.
The AMP envelope for each Wave is selected from the list above the knobs from the following selection:
- Full β No Attack, Sustain 100%
- Pad β No Attack, lower Sustain
- Pad Fade – No Attack, long Decay, lower Sustain
- Slow 1 β Slow Attack, Slow Decay
- Slow 2 β Slow Attack, Faster Decay
- Stab β Short Decay to no Sustain
- Pluck 1 – Shorter Decay to no Sustain
- Pluck 2 β Very short Decay to no Sustain
- Swell 1 β Slow Attack, short Decay
- Swell 2 β Slower Attack, short Decay
- Bridge 1 β Equal slow Attack/Decay
- Bridge 2 – Equal slower Attack/Decay
- SH Rel 1 β Very short Release
- SH Rel 2 β Slight Attack/Hold Decay – Very short Release
- SH Rel 3 – Moderate Attack/Hold Decay – Very short Release
- Pulse 1 β No Attack/short Hold/very short Decay
- Pulse 2 – No Attack/shorter Hold/very short Decay
- Pulse 3 – No Attack/shorter Hold/very short Decay
- Long Rel β some Hold/Decay and long release
- FULL LR β Sustain 100% – long Release
- Piano 1 β moderate Decay to nothing
- Piano 2 – longer Decay to nothing
- Piano 3 β long Decay to nothing
- Fadein 1 β Slow Attack to Full
- Fadein 2 – Slower Attack to Full
- Fadein 3 β very Slow Attack to Full
The Wave Mode determines mainly different tuning properties for Wave B:
- Wave A Only β Uses only Wave A Oscillator
- Wave A+B Modes β The Waveforms are mixed and Wave B is detuned by the described value, 1O = 1 Octave, +5 = plus 5 semitones etc..
- Random β Probably not very useful but each note trigger will use a different waveform.
Each Oscillator can have an individual Filter, although both share the same Cutoff, Resonance and Envelope values. This can be very interesting for example when using a Low Pass and a Hi Pass.
- VEL - This determines the amount of Velocity to the filter cutoff. NOTE: 50% is no effect, anything above is has a postive effect ie; the harder a note is played the higher the cutoff. Below 50% has the opposite effect so a setting of zero means the harder a note is played the lower the filter cutoff.
- ENV β The amount of effect the Filter Envelope has on the the filter cutoff. This is the same as VEL in that 50% means no effect.
- Filter Attack β The amount of time for the Attack stage of the Filter Envelope.
- Filter Decay β The amount of time for the Decay stage of the Filter Envelope.
The following Filters are available to choose from the Kontakt selection:
- Pro53 Low Pass
- 6 Pole Low Pass
- 4 Pole High Pass
- Moog Low Pass
Β The LFO is dedicated to the filter:
- Retrigger β Whether the LFO Retriggers with each note played.
- LFO Shape β Selects which shape is used, all the usual shapes are there plus a series of custom more complex shapes.
- LFO Frequency β This knob determines the speed of the LFO in tempo synced steps.
- LFO β Filter Cutoff β The amount of effect the LFO has on the Filter.
The effects section contains a Reverb, a tempo synced Delay and a selectable Modulator:
- Time β How long the Reverb tail is
- Reverb β The Amount of Reverb.
- Delay Time β The tempo synced time of the delay.
- Delay β The amount of Delay
- Modulator Type β This selects between Flanger, Phaser and Chorus, x denotes the speed in 10% steps.
- Modulate β The amount of Flanger/Phaser/Chorus
- Random Mode β Here you can select how the random button behaves, there are 19 modes to choose from which should be fairly self explanatory. This menu also gives access to some one-shot commands such as set all to Default which re-initializes the synth, as well as a few specific random triggers. When using the latter, the mode will resort back to it’s previous setting.
The polyphonic Gate Sequencer re-triggers notes to the specified rhythmic pattern at the selected clock division using the current selected mode. It can use up to 32 steps.
- Play Sequence β The top row determines the rhythmic pattern to be played. This row should really be though of as on/off buttons but KSL only provides the slider table. Any slider above the centre line will play.
- Velocity β This determines the Velocity each note played. Note: Kosmos only uses a slight amount of AMP Velocity as it is designed to be more of a pad machine than a Piano, however this means that when velocity is assigned to the Filter Cutoff you can get some nice Filter Cutoff Patterns.
- Note Length β This slider table controls the length of each note as a percentage of the current tempo step size.
- Randomizers β On the right there are randomizer buttons for each of the slider tables as well as a global randomizer which will randomize all 3.
- Tempo β This determines the clock division of the host clock used for playback.
- Number of Steps β How many steps are used by the sequence.
- Mode β The Mode determines how the sequencer will play back:
- OFF β This switches off the sequencer.
- FWD β The Sequence plays forwards.
- REV β The sequence is played in Reverse.
- ALT1 β Plays forwards then backwards
- ALT2 β Plays backwards then forwards
- RND 1 β Each note is random
- RND ST β A random sequence is generated when the first note is played and will be used for all subsequent sequences until no keys are held.
- ADV x1, x2, x3, x4 β The 1st sequence will play forwards normally, the next triggered key will advance by the x number. This is great for syncopating chords.
- BAR β All sequences will wait for the next bar start to begin playing.
- S ALT 1, 2, 3, 4 β Various modes which will use different play modes via a flip-flop for each subsequent sequence, for example switching between FWD and REV with each subsequent triggered sequence.
The trigger Octave – This is located on your keyboard at C1, and each key in this octave will cause the following:
- C β Adds an octave to the sequence
- C# – Adds 5 semitones
- D β Adds an Octave (useful for adding 2 octaves when combine with C
- D# – Adds 7 Semitones
- E β Stutter β This prevents the sequence from progressing causing a stutter effect.
- F β Open β Makes all notes full length
- F# – Adds 3 semitones
- G β halves the tempo
- G# Removes 2 semitones
- A β doubles the tempo
- A# – Adds 1 Semitone
- B β Sets all note Lengths to the minimum.
- All Pitches are accumulative so they can be added together!
Starburst is now released for Padshop Pro with a staggering 1400+ Presets across 13 Style Categories. The original Virus TI sounds have now had some Granular treatment in this collection providingΒ a huge collection of Beautiful pads and Textures. Each style folder uses a different template to get the most out of the WAVS such as Slow Attack, Dual Synth versions, Stabs and so on.
I’ve taken some time to simplify all the older products by updating them all to installers, in the future simply select your vstplugin folder and that’s it. All products live in a HGSounds/Product Name directory, so if you use an installer and already have one installed you may need to manually delete the old version first.
Secondly Ammonite has been updated to v1.22:
- Fixed a bug with the Microtonal Scale Menu.
- Added a new Filter called ‘Mellow LP’ – It’s an odd one which sounds a bit grungy and is not very resonant but it has an interesting character.
I’ve started working on an ARP update which will be released in the next few weeks, and I will also be tackling Vortex shortly afterwards.