News: Updated to v1.2 with many new major additions such as Additive Synthesis and Sample Based Synthesis, ARP, Sequencer, Scale Remapper and Ominichorder plus much more, this is by far the most powerful HGS synth to date!
Ammonite VSTi is a feature packed dual synthesizer, extremely powerful, yet intuitive to use. It comes from a long line of Astralis Synths and benefits from the proven formula that ensures a user friendly experience. Whether you want a synth capable of undulating atmospheres, or Kraftwerk/Orbital style sequencing or cutting leads, Ammonite is capable of this and much more. A strong point of Ammonite is that it can be used to good effect on a superficial level by people less experienced with synths, and the deeper elements can become apparent through usage.
Dual Synth – 2 Oscillators per Synth
Each synth section combines 2 Oscillators and has various Modes which decide how they interact with each other; such as Add, Subtract, Dual Pitch and FM. Each Oscillator is capable of over 3,500 waveforms ranging from the usual suspects, such as Sine and Saw, to FM bell like sounds, through to cutting digital Waves. There is also a healthy assortment of filters from Low Pass, Hi Pass, Band Pass, Shelving and Comb, which are cascadable up to 8 times. There are two 32 stage Envelopes per synth, one dedicated to the Volume, and the Second to the Filter, both capable of repeating a range. Each synth is completely independent and has it’s own FX send level, Noise, Tuning and Drive.
TerraNova FX Section
The effects section, is comprised of the newly developed TerraNova FX system which has 5 main effects including SoundScaper, Delay, and 3 multi-purpose Modulators which can be used to do a large assortment of Modulating effects such as Flanger, Phasers, Ring Modulators, FM, Pitch Shifters, Filters, Mod Delays, Decimator and synth tones. These can be routed in any order using drag and drop routing, or randomized using a dedicated randomizer. Other effects include, Harmonic Exciters, a Compressor, an 8 band graphic EQ, Low and Hi Cut, plus Drive with 4 different modes.
Sequencing – Gates and ARP
As for sequencing, Ammonite has an assortment of options which include a Polyphonic Gate Sequencer capable of triggering any of the 5 envelopes, plus a unique way of using a polarity setting to trigger Synth 2 on the off positions, as well as either of the filter envelopes. There is a second monophonic gate sequencer which is dedicated to driving a Gapper and/or re-triggering the LFOs in the FX Modulators. Finally there is a full featured Arpeggiator/Sequencer, which can do all the classic ARP stuff, plus can be programmed as a one note sequencer, with an additional Muter mode for deciding which steps will sound. The Muters can be used with the standard ARP Mode, and along with independent step size can create unique ARP patterns.
Modulation – Sequencers, LFOs and Modulation Matrix
On the Modulation front, there are many options including 2 multi purpose Modulation Sequencers, 2 LFOs, 5 x 32 stage repeating Envelopes, Vibrato, Randomizer, as well as the usual assortment of Velocity, Aftertouch and Mod Wheel. All of these can be routed through a Modulation Matrix with up to 8 sources mapped to 7 destinations. There is a large selection of destinations, making it a very configurable synth for those that like to delve into the depths of synthesis. There are also two XY controllers on the front page which can be assigned to a multitude of parameters.
There is a useful built in Recorder which is capable of recording at 16, 24, 32, or 32F bit-rate directly to disk. It can be set to record to a custom location, and it will automatically name the file using tempo and date/time. Furthermore, it can either be used to record manually by clicking the record button, or can be set to record a sample accurate ‘x’ number of bars, which makes making loops very easy – ready to load into any application which uses WAV loops.
Other notable features are the Microtuner which uses standard Scala files, an Analog mode with 4 different levels to fatten/warm up the sound, 48 note polyphony (2 x 24) with the ability to choose a custom polyphony below that, individual glide and pitch Bend per synth, and Spread for randomizing stereo placement of voices on each note on. There is also an extensive randomization system built in, there are small blue buttons throughout the synth which will randomize nearby controls, as well as a Global Randomize button which can be configured to randomize targeted sections only.
“I had great time playing with Ammonite, it so easy to learn, has plenty of options and virtualy does not need manual for a quick start (which I eventually read to better understand Ammo gem) … I will say randomize function did come in handy on couple of times, but for the most part I simply built patches from scratch, it was more fun to do so and the more I get under the hood of this beast, the more I enjoyed it.” – Darko
Ammonite is compatible with any Windows Application which supports VST Instruments.
- Updated to v1.1 – Includes many new features and now over 400 presets many using the 1.1 features.
- Now includes a bank of 52 sounds by Darko, many thanks for that and the demo, you can check out his music Here
- Also thanks to AbstractCats for his demos and soundbank, you can hear his music Here
- 2 independent synth engines each with:
- a Dual Oscillator capable of additive, subtractive, Sample, RM, AM and FM synthesis. The oscillator/Synth/Filter engine was coded as a single piece of optimized code and is also expandable in the future.
- Also has Real Time Sine, Triangle, Saw, Square and Additive modes which use more CPU but are alias free.
- The usual Sine, Saw, Square waveforms as well as a waves such as Piano, Guitar etc...
- A huge and diverse selection of 3,500 digital style waveforms.
- 24 Note Polyphony (reducable).
- 10 different filter types including the usual suspects, cascadable up to 8 times
- White Noise
- A Microtuner that uses Scala files, and 300 patches are included organised into categories.
- 2 Dedicated Volume Envelopes with up to 32 steps, a multitude of transition shapes, and the ability to repeat to any stage.
- 2 dedicated Filter Envelopes
- 2 LFOs with many waveforms and features.
- 2 Modulation Sequencers, one is polyphonic and the second is monophonic.
- 2 Gates Sequencers, the first is a trance gate for re-triggering the Envelopes and the second for re-triggering the FX Modulators and driving the Gapper.
- A Gapper is available for the final output with Attack, Width, Release and Mix settings.
- A sophisticated Arpeggiator/Note Sequencer. Most of the features from ARP
- Scale Remapper - For use with the Arpeggiator/Sequencer and the Ominichorder. Allows re-caling notes based on the selected scale for each root note.
- Ominichorder - Allows triggering an extra 1/2 notes for each note pressed which can also run through the Scale Remapper.
- Programmable Vibrato
- A Modulation Matrix with 8 input sources and a large selection of destinations.
- Quantizers on each of the Modulation Matrix Destinations for glissando style effects.
- A preview keyboard with sticky keys to make working on patches easy, plus it displays incoming midi notes.
- A sophisticated Randomization system with a global randomize button and a Randomize options page for selecting which parts of the synths it will affect. Global Default button resets 90% of the synth to it's default state with one click.
- There are randomizer and default buttons throughout the synth for just randomizing particular settings.
- A built in WAV Recorder capable of auto-naming and recording a specified number of bars.
- Manual Tempo for old school style Arpeggiator usage etc...
- A powerful purpose built FX engine TerraNova which includes:
- SoundScaper for comb/Reverb and Vast church bell style Delay Effects.
- Stereo Delay with additional Reverse and glitch modes.
- 3 x Modulator. The Modulator is a general purpose effect capable of many different effects such as Flanger, Phasers, FM, Chorus, Filters, Ring Mod, Synth Tones, Mod Delay and Pitch shifting.
- Drag and Drop Routing.
- Hi and Low Exciters for bringing presence and clarity to the top and bottom end.
- 8 band Graphic EQ
- Hi and Low Cut
- Drive with 4 different styles.
- Analog Mode with 4 different levels, to warm up the sound and make it sound more natural.
- An always visible Master ON/OFF for all major components.
- A pitch Shifter which uses delay based pitch shifting either pre or post FX.
- An Envelope dedicated for use through the Modulation Matrix.
- Many parameters have CC numbers assigned, and VST is supported for most components.
- Extensive PDF Manual
- Fixed an issue with the sample engine introduced in v1.21
- Added 'Mellow LP' a new non resonant grungy Low Pass filter.
- Minor update to fix a problem with the Microtonal menu not displaying correctly.
- ARP added – The existing ARP has now been replaced by the ARP/Sequencer from the HGSounds plugin 'ARP' which features:
- 32 Note Sequencer Mode - This has a 2 octave range, centre value represents actual note pitch.
- Direction Modes - Forwards, Reverse, Alternate and Random Modes.
- 32 Note Muters – Basically a gate sequencer that decides if a note should play or not, can be used with the Sequencer or the Arpeggiator.
- 32 Note Tie - Allows tie-ing notes for classic analog style sequences, and even works in polyphonic mode for chord like effects.
- Vol Row - This row can be used to select a set velocity for the step so can be used for accent, or alternatively a quieter note.
- Octave Row - This Sequencer Row will decide whether a step uses the Octave rules selected via a popup menu. The rules range from standard +1 octave to cyclic which create an interesting flowing sequence.
- 1-4 Octaves – Once the ARP run is complete it will go up an octave as far as 4 Octaves.
- Fixed Velocity Mode – can use a fixed Velocity instead of played velocity, which is set via a knob.
- Latch Mode – Holds the note until the next one is played.
- Pulse Width – When Latch is off, this determines how long the pulse is, affecting how long the note trigger is held.
- Hold – This will hold any pressed keys until hold is depressed.
- OmniChorder - This can be used along with the Sequencer and also when the ARP is disabled. It allows setting 2 further notes to trigger to form a chord from pressing one key. Once this is enabled, the Scale Remapper can be used to manipulate the chord for each note in the octave, reminiscent of the classic Omnichord.
- Scale Remapper– Allows changing the Scale on each note (C – B) so that a sequence can be squashed to the selected scale:
- Over 70 scales to choose from.
- Sequence Offset – This allows offsetting the start note of each sequence when it is triggered. For example in Poly Mode pressing 2 keys together will start both sequences running, one could be set to start on step 2 so that it will syncopate. In Monophonic mode it allows building more complex sequence patterns as they iterate.
- Pitch Disable per note – This can prevent a sequence playing on the selected note, so that for example note C won't play the sequence but just C notes. This is useful in Polyphonic mode so that one key can be consistent whilst another note can play a sequence alongside it.
- 7 Scale Mapping Modes – The mode decides how the scale is altered, when a note doesn't match the scale, Up will select the next above, Down the next one down etc. There is also nearest, furthest and alternate. There is also a mode which holds the pitch of the octave, and simply uses the scale remapper to force the scale, useful for music without key changes.
- Scale Remapper works with the OmiChorder even when the ARP/Sequencer is switched off.
- Polyphonic – When used with a polyphonic instrument, notes can trigger individual sequences which is great for use with the Muters(Gate Sequencer) which can create complex rhythmic patterns.
- Manual Tempo – Normal Operation is based on the Host Tempo so that it remains in sync with the project, however manual mode can be used in the fashion of an old analog sequencer.
- Swing – Swings the beats!
- Channel 16 Pitcher - When midi notes are sent to channel 16 the entire pitch of the plugin is transposed.
- Copy/Paste - Can be used to copy a sequence to another preset including all rows.
- Double/Quadruple - Double will copy the first 16 steps to the last 16 steps, Quadruple will duplicate the first 8 steps x 3.
- Sequencers - no longer require the GUI to be open to initialise.
- Microtuner menu – Now set to 30 by default.