Fragments is an attempt at exploring Granular style synthesis within the Kontakt system. It uses Long Evolving Waveforms and the sound is generated by playing Looped Sections from these WAVs. The Loop Position and Length can be Sequenced in real-time via the Dedicated Loop sequencers which can create both Glitchy and interesting Pads.
It has a Dual Synth Architecture with both synths sharing the same features. As well as the 2 Loop Start and Length Sequencers, there are also another 6 Per Synth which control Cutoff, Volume, Pan, Drive, Reverb Send and Delay Send. The Sequencers use tempo based divisions making them great for tempo Synched Patterns, have a maximum of 128 steps and 11 choices of tempo division.
There are also 2 XY Pads which represent the currently visible Sequencers and will animate to show their current state when the Sequencers are in play Mode. They can also be used to record the Sequencers in real-time. When a sequencer not in Play Mode the XY controls the static value used for the destination amount.
Fragments was designed to be intuitive and easy to use with all parameters + 4 Sequencers visible. As with other HGS creations full use of local and Global Randomizers are available to instantly create unique and varied presets.There is also an internal presets system in place with a built in Browser.
Unlike recent HGS Releases which relied more on the Synthesizer script to create sounds within Fragments the sounds also play a crucial role in the overall sound. Lots of effort was put into creating WAVS which morph between many different sounds so that many interesting loops could be pulled out of each one. Altogether there are 157 included and whilst the majority shift between 8-9 sound sources there are also some simpler classic wavetable type shifts between fewer sounds as well as a selection of complex wavetable morphs.
- 8 Sequencers per Synth which control Filter Cutoff, Volume (polyphonic), Loop Length, Loop Start, Pan, Drive, Reverb Send and Delay
- Each Sequencer has variable Frequency and Step Amount and all except Volume have an Amount/Depth control
- Waveform display for each synth which shows the current play position of the newest triggered note
- 38 choices of Filter Types
- 50 types of Reverb Impulse Responses
- Local Randomizer/Default buttons for each section.
- There are 4 algorithmic randomizers for each sequencer which generate various randomized Rhythmic Patterns
- Global Default loads a predefined state which can be saved by the user and all local Default buttons also use this file
- Built in Preset System and Browser
- Dual Synth Architecture
- 5 Sophisticated Global Randomizers
- Reverb and Delay Send Effects
- Chorus/Flanger/Phaser insert effect
- 157 Waveforms
- 150 Presets but it’s more fun to Randomize your own!
Here is a Video showing XY Record, the randomizers plus generally messing around with the engine:
This video demonstrates some of the presets included:
NOTE: The Full version of Kontakt 5.6 is required to use Fragments, it will only work in the player for 15 minutes.